Avalon Theisen was 9 years old in 2010 when she realized she needed to use her connection with the natural word to help make the world a better place for frogs and the environment. She also wanted to help people by empowering them to reconnect with nature. She has grown her efforts into a non-profit organization called Conserve It Forward, which offers several environmental programs and activities, with a goal of raising awareness and inspiring action that will benefit both the natural world and people. “How the Croak of the Wild Empowered This Child” is the title of her 2013 TEDxYouth@TampaBay talk.
Avalon also connects with her audience through positive media, including journalism, hosting Nature Tracks with Avalon on The Autism Channel, and as the voice of Ms. Abbey Toad on Pacha’s Pajamas musical CD. She is working on a new Conserve It Forward initiative to help others learn more about the effects our food choices have on our planet and all living things.
Avalon’s efforts have been recognized with several awards, including the following:
– 2014 Summer of Service Award by Youth Service America
– 2014 Florida Achievement Award
– Peace First Prize Finalist
– 2014 WEDU PBS Be More Awards Rising Star Award
– 2013 SBN International Youth Award
– 2013 Greening Forward Earth Savers Club Award
– 2012 Temple Grandin Award for an individual with autism
– Radio Disney Heroes for Change Award
– Roosevelt-Ashe Conservation Award for Outstanding Youth in Conservation for 2012
– The Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes
– President’s Volunteer Service Award, Gold Level
– International Young Eco-Hero Award by Action for Nature
“My goal is that everyone should feel interconnected with other living things and the environment, because then they want to help and not destroy it.”
For more information on Avalon’s organization visit www.ConserveItForward.org.
Marvelous Miss highlights girls who are doing good by making a difference in the lives of others and changing our world for the better. Do you know a girl who is making a difference, tell us about them in the comments or email us: email@example.com.